Paul Vallone kicks off re-election

img1

Councilman Paul Vallone kicked off his re-election campaign last week at a fundraiser in Queens.

He was joined by family and friends, elected officials in the City Council, civic and business leaders and other supporters.

Vallone, who has been in office for three years, touted that he brought $40 million in funding for northeast Queens.

“My primary focus from day one was to put northeast Queens back on the map, and I’m happy to say we’ve done that,” Vallone said. “Everyone in this room has played a part in the resurgence of northeast Queens.”

“As I begin the last year of my first term, I am reaffirming my commitment to always fight to preserve our quality of life,” he added, “while continuously supporting our schools, safety, seniors and small businesses.”

His campaign also announced that it’s already “nearly fully-funded” and has maxed out matching funds from small person donations.

Vallone’s campaign also released statements of support from different leaders in the district, including the principals of PS 169 and BELL Academy, the 111th Precinct Community Council, HANAC Angelo Petromelis Senior Center and the Douglaston Local Development Corporation.

img2

img3

VIDEO: Flushing woman robbed earlier this month

Authorities released footage today of a frightening robbery that occurred a few weeks ago in Flushing.

Police say that on Saturday, January 7, at approximately 10:55 p.m., two unknown suspects approached a 49-year-old woman walking home near Colden Street and Cherry Avenue.

As they approached her, one of the suspects displayed a black handgun. Then they forcibly (as you can see in the video) removed her purse, which contained an iPhone, credit cards and $800 in cash.

They fled northbound on Colden Street onto Franklin Avenue.

The woman was not physically injured from the incident.

The suspects later used her credit card at a Speedway Gas Station at 97-11 Northern Boulevard in Corona. Authorities say they used it just a few hours later, at 12:41 a.m.

Anyone with information in regards to this robbery is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).  The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.

Stavisky passes Lunar New Year resolution

(01-23-17) 500-11-075

Just in time for the new year.

State Senator Toby Ann Stavisky and State Senator Daniel Squadron passed a resolution this week commemorating the start of the Lunar New Year.

The Year of the Rooster begins on January 28 this year.

The resolution was passed unanimously.

“Being born in the Year of the Rooster is a very important sign of intelligence, honesty, ambition,” Stavisky said, “and we hope that this will symbolize 2017.”

Next week, downtown Flushing will host its annual Lunar New Year parade, which organizers say will attract 10,000 attendees.

 

Preferred Dental Care robbed in December

284-17 109 PDU GL 12-23-16 PHOTO1

The Preferred Dental Care at 164-10 45th Avenue in Murray Hill was robbed last month.

Authorities say that a man, shown above, walked into the rear office and removed a box that contained surgical glasses. According to police, those glasses were worth approximately $1,600.

The suspect then fled in an unknown direction.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

E-Waste disposal event on Sunday

Koo E-Waste Disposal Event

Left to right: Sinyee Tan of Lower East Side Ecological Center, Councilman Peter Koo, Regina Minerva of Queens Botanical Garden

Councilman Peter Koo announced today that his office is hosting an electronic waste (E-Waste) recycling event on Sunday, January 29 at the Queens Botanical Garden in Flushing.

Community members are encouraged to bring discarded computers, monitors, printers, scanners, keyboards, mice (the electronic kind), cables, televisions, VCRs, DVD players, phones, audio/visual equipment, cell phones and other electronic devices.

“I’m happy to announce this upcoming E-Waste event in Flushing and encourage our community to take advantage of this opportunity to dispose of their electronic waste,” Koo said. “A sustainable community takes a conscious effort from all of us.”

As of April 2015, electronic recycling is required by law. Residents can be fined $100 for placing TVs and other electronic equipment on the curbside for disposal.

The even will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

For more information, contact the Lower East Side Ecology Center at 212-477-4022.

QBG announces new Forest Explorers program

QBG Forest Explorers

Queens Botanical Garden is launching a new drop-off nature program for children ages 2 through 6. It will run from May 7 through June 23.

The program is rooted in the traditions of the Forest School model of nurturing and self-confidence. Children are outdoors and take part in play-based activities that encourage discovery and exploration.

Activities include digging for worms, splashing in puddles, gathering fresh flowers and more.

“The goal is to provide meaningful, fun, outdoor learning for children that works for everyone,” said Rebecca Wolf, QBG’s director of education. “Daily activities like thematic exploration, storytelling, snack making and hut building really open up children’s imagination. They leave with with a long-lasting appreciation for nature and self-awareness.”

Forest Explorers will run Tuesdays through Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Garden.

Registration is now open, and QBG is currently promoting a 5% off discount for those who sign up by February 10 with the code “EarlyBird.”

The Garden is also hosting a free, drop-in open house for the program on Thursday, February 2 from 10 to 11 a.m.

“Through open play, children learn about the natural world around them,” said Kelly McLane, QBG Forest Explorers instructor. “Over the course of each day, children begin to understand and appreciate their own boundaries and expand their imaginations.

For more information about the program, visit here.

Congresswoman Meng won’t attend Trump’s inauguration

Meng_DNC

One Queens elected official is snubbing another Queens native on his all-important day.

Congresswoman Grace Meng announced earlier this week that she will not attend the inauguration of President-elect Donald Trump, who was born in Jamaica Estates.

Meng joins a growing list of lawmakers nationwide, including a strong contingent from the New York delegation, to skip out on the traditionally joyous occasion.

“With just days before his inauguration, I had hoped President-elect Trump would put an end to his inflammatory rhetoric. But obviously that pivot has not occurred,” Meng said. “I have heard from many constituents and I thought long and hard about this decision. I respect the office of the President and our nation’s peaceful transfer of power.”

“But the President-elect must get the message that his antagonistic and divisive comments are unacceptable,” she added. “We cannot tolerate attacks on women, minorities or a civil rights icon.”

The icon she was referring to was Georgia Congressman John Lewis, who marched and organized in the Civil Rights Movement with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lewis said he was boycotting the inauguration because he didn’t believe Trump was elected legitimately, pointing to Russian meddling. Trump then posted tweets denouncing Lewis as “all talk” and “no action.”

“We need a leader who will bring our country together, and live up to the dignity and honor of the Oval Office,” Meng said.

This weekend, nearly one million people are expected to flood to Washington D.C. for a march organized by women of all races. Meng said she looks forward to welcoming constituents for “this weekend’s festivities.”

“I will work with Mr. Trump whenever possible, but this weekend I march.”