The Student Visa Options To Study in New York

Studying in Queens and New York City is the dream of students from around the world. We have some of the best universities in the country and a large number of international students that choose to study in our schools. By the first step to being able to study legally in New York requires a Student Visa. We have created a guide to the student visa options that are available to international students.

What is a student visa?

A student visa is a type of non-immigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to legally come and study in the United States. They do not require a naturalization or immigration process and are valid for a certain time period and for a specific type of studying in institutions of learning. When applying for any visa it is advisable to work with one of the experienced student visa lawyers in Queens.

What requirements are necessary to study on a student visa?

  • Must have a valid passport with at least 6 months past the expected competition date
  • Must be admitted to an approved educational institute (SEVP or SEVIS)
  • Must have the intention ONLY to study
  • Must be able to prove funds sufficient for the costs of living and studying for the duration of the program

What types of Student Visas are available in the USA?

Essentially there are 3 types of student visas in the United States. In order of the most common to the least common, they are F-1, M-1, J-1 student visas. To decide which student visa would be best for you, ask one of the local immigration attorneys.

F-1 Visa

The F-1 Visa is the most common and is intended for college and university students. It is typically valid for as long as you are enrolled as a student in an approved university or college, even just to study English. F-1 visa holders are permitted to work on campus at their institution for up to 20 hours per week. Upon completing their program of study they can remain in the US for up to 60 days before leaving or obtaining another visa.

M-1 Visa

The M-1 student visa is intended for students who are studying in trade, vocational, or technical training school. Many community college students can also obtain an M student visa, but an international student who holds an M visa is not permitted to work, either on-campus or off-campus. They can remain in the US for up to 30 days upon the program’s completion.

J-1 Visa

J-1 Student Visa is another kind of student visa that can include student exchange programs, Au Pairs, camp counselors, teachers, and other types of student or professional training programs outside of a traditional classroom. They can remain in the US for up to 30 days post-program completion. This student visa type is less common.

There are also options to admit dependents of each type of visa who would be admitted under a visa called  F-2, M-2, or J-2 which would fall under similar guidelines and application process as the primary student visa holder.


Don’t try to navigate the student visa process on your own, you have the support of one of the top-rated immigration lawyers in Queens:

Slatus & Slatus Immigration Law Firm of Queens 75-27 141st Pl, Flushing, NY 11367 (718) 269-3882

Leave a Reply