Queens College has opened its doors for the second year to offer free tax preparation to students, staff, faculty and the general public.
The program is part of the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, or VITA.
The initiative runs through April 15 and is open for people who make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, and taxpayers whose first language is not English.
An IRS-certified volunteer will assist with electronic filing.
Consultations with VITA staff are by appointment only on Thursdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Make an appoint by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 718-997-2980.
Clients should bring these documents with them for the consultation:
- Current year’s tax package, including all W-2s and 1099s
- Last year’s return information
- Information on other income and deductions/credits
- Proof of checking account for direct deposit (like a voided check)
- Proof of identity
- Social Security or individual taxpayer ID cards