The two groups, in conjunction with Queens Borough President Melinda Katz, announced on Wednesday, a new international ideas competition aimed at soliciting “imaginative and creative input,” for how the pavilion can become a focal point of community life in Queens and New York City, according to a release.
Queens-based organizations RPGA Studio and Hibridos Collective are holding various events over the new few months to draw attention to the creative project.
RPGA Studio is implementing a series of events at the nearby Queens Museum which will utilize virtual technology to allow those participating in the program to get a first-hand experience of exploring the pavilion. Those events will be:
• Sunday, March 13 from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
• Sunday, April 10 from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
• Sunday, May 8 from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
• Sunday, June 12 from 1:30-4:30 p.m. (The location for this session is still to be determined)
Hibridos Collective is creating a pop-up that will pay homage to the pavilion. Participants can learn about the significance and history of it though both educational and archival materials. The public will subsequently be invited to create drawings, doodles, sketches or other creative forms that represent their visions for the structure, utilizing an art educator for assistance. The pop-up will be:
• Sunday, March 20, 12-4 p.m., Queens Theatre in the Park, 14 United Nations Ave South
• Sunday, April 24, 12-4 p.m., Queens Public Library at Flushing, 41-17 Main Street
• Saturday, May 28, 12-4 p.m., 78th Street Plaza, 78th Street between 34th Avenue and Northern Boulevard
• Saturday, June 25, 12-4 p.m., Corona Plaza, Roosevelt Avenue Service Road between National and 104th Streets
The competition will ultimately be judged by the public for a fan favorite – on July 18 – and a panel of local leaders and architecture experts, who will determine a first, second and third-place winner – which will be announced at a special event at the Queens Museum on Aug. 4.
Cash prizes for the winners include: $3,000 for first place, $1,000 for second place, $500 for third place and $500 for the fan favorite.